Hello! If you know me or if you have read my blog you know I like C#, a lot. However …
Things I really like about node.js:
- great package manager(npm). Specify your dependencies in a json file(package.json) and run npm install and all your dependencies are there. That easy!
- very fast. To understand this: I have this little thing in C# and while I use multiple threads in took more than 5 minutes to complete. Did the same thing in node.js and it was completed in less than one minute. What?!?! Development time was considerably shorter and I could even argue that number of lines of code was considerably shorter even though node.js is much newer to me compared to C#.
- inherently asynchronous but single threaded. Goodbye thread synchronization issues but be careful to heavy cpu work as it can render your application unresponsive
- it has some sort of LINQ called ArrowFunctions. We all love lambdas!
- lightweight libraries for frontend, backend and everything else
- very very very easy to use with json data format.
- sure it’s cross-platform
- very easy to build APIs
As a conclusion I’d say that the most impressive thing about node.js is the simplicity with which you can build stuff, not to mention speed. I am sure there are shortcomings to this technology as well but I am yet to discover.
See you soon on get started with node.js.